Monday 16 March 2015

Books | Just Read: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Sunday Shorts)

Hello to all you lovely lot, I'm sorry this is a day late! I hope you all had a relaxing Sunday  (゜▽゜;)

Let's crack on with another Sunday Shorts!


The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman was, in my opinion, a little disappointing. I started it the same day I finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, and Gaiman's story just severely paled in comparison. I think maybe if I'd started it a day or so after I'd finished The Goldfinch, or even a week maybe, then it would have been its own story, especially if it had been longer. It took me weeks to read The Goldfinch (bear in mind I only read on the train, not at home or wherever), and then I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane within a couple of days so errr... safe to say I was a little underwhelmed ahaha.

But, that being said, I don't feel it's fair that this book is denied the recognition it deserves just because I don't know how to pace myself when it comes to reading ahaha. This is a lovely little book! It presented a fascinating and unique fantasy world and premise that was examined through the eyes of a man revisiting memories of his childhood, memories which he'd forgotten 'til he returned to the so-called Ocean at the end of the lane. It's a really nice read, it has a lovely and quite exciting story, although I don't know if it's particularly aimed at adults as it's quite short, and the writing style is very simple. However, I wouldn't know, seeing as I never look up books before I read them. I like the surprise (^ω^)

I would recommend reading this, if you're looking for something original, that's also fairly short and sweet, then Neil Gaiman's TOatEofL is right up your street! Have you read this book, or anything else by Gaiman? Let me know in the comments below!

Bye! x
Follow me on Bloglovin' by clicking the button below!
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment