Sunday 8 March 2015

Books | Just Read: The Goldfinch by Donna Tart (Sunday Shorts)

Hi all! Welcome to another of my Sunday Shorts (o゚▽゚)oニパッ

Due to the fact that I commute to Uni, I usually have about two-three hours every day to do nothing but read whilst I'm sat around either on a train or waiting for a train. And I can tell you now, I love reading, so I'm actually really happy I have all that free time ahahaha. My Mum gave me her old Kindle at the beginning of summer, and safe to say I've made good use of it.

When it comes to books, I've been really weird recently about making sure I've had no information about them before I read them. I don't read the blurb, or look them up or anything, so all I have to go on is the title. So, this is really going to be a short Sunday Short ahaha as I don't want to give too much away about this book, I'm not one for spoilers!


The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt is a beautifully written work of fiction, following a boy from his teenage to his adult years. As a teenager, a terrible event happens in his life, bringing devastation and also a burden he didn't ask for, leading him on a path of self-destruction for the rest of his life.

This story is quite tragic, and takes some very dark and depressive turns. There's not much light or happiness in his life, and tragedy seems to follow him like a shadow wherever he goes, affecting him and everyone in his life. However, please don't think it's necessarily a depressing read. I felt satisfied at the end of this book, I came away from it really pleased I read it. It's fairly long, about 900 pages from what I can remember, and you really do go on a journey with the main character.

It's a brilliant book. It's quite riveting, and I always looked forward to reading it. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something new to read, it is genuinely the best book I've read this year, I thought it was quite an incredible tale.

Have you read The Goldfinch? Are you reading anything good at the moment? Let me know in the comments below!

Bye! x
Follow me on Bloglovin' by clicking the button below!
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment